In brief
- Six suspects allegedly targeted the wife of Sébastien Borget, co-founder and COO of The Sandbox, at their home in Villenoy, Seine-et-Marne, this week.
- Two teenagers were arrested in connection with the incident, while four other suspects remain at large.
- The incident adds to France's surge in crypto-targeted violence, with 135 kidnapping attempts recorded since 2023.
The wife of Sébastien Borget, co-founder of metaverse gaming platform The Sandbox, was targeted in a kidnapping attempt at their French home this week, according to reports in local media.
Per police sources cited in Le Journal de Dimanche, one individual approached the Borget residence in Villenoy, Seine-et-Marne disguised as a deliveryman and carrying a cardboard box. When Borget’s wife opened the gate, five accomplices rushed into the courtyard and attempted to drag her into a Citroën C3, only abandoning the kidnap attempt when neighbors intervened.
Two teenagers were arrested in connection with the alleged kidnapping attempt, identified as Mateo V., born in 2010, and Walid H., born in 2009, both from Pantin in Seine-Saint-Denis.
Authorities allegedly discovered the pair carrying a fake handgun, zip-tie restraints, and balaclavas at the time of their arrest. Four others suspected of participating in the incident remain at large.
In a tweet, Borget said he was "truly touched" by the messages of support he had received in the wake of the incident, adding, "Thank you for the outpouring of love, thoughtful messages, and deeply caring words for my family."
💙 Thank you for the outpouring of love, thoughtful messages, and deeply caring words for my family. We’re truly touched by your kindness and support.
— Sebastien 🏞 (@borgetsebastien) May 21, 2026
France and crypto kidnappings
France has emerged as an epicenter of so-called “wrench attacks,” in which crypto owners are threatened with kidnapping and physical violence in order to force them to give access to their wallets. Per JDD, the National Directorate of the Judicial Police has recorded 41 crypto-linked kidnapping attempts since the start of the year.
To date, there have been 135 total crypto-related kidnapping incidents in France documented since 2023—representing nearly 80% of all European cases. The surge has prompted urgent government intervention, with 88 charged across 12 active judicial investigations, and heightened security concerns among blockchain executives.
Last month, Jonathan Riss, Blockchain Intelligence Analyst at CertiK, told Decrypt that France "ranks among the top three countries worldwide for personal data breaches," citing a leak at national ID agency ANTS that exposed the personal data of 12 million citizens.
The latest kidnap attempt follows several high-profile crypto-targeted crimes in the country, including the kidnapping and mutilation of Ledger co-founder David Balland, a home invasion attempt targeting Binance France’s CEO, and the abduction of a magistrate and her mother for a crypto ransom.
French officials have scrambled to address the crisis. During Paris Blockchain Week 2026, Minister Delegate Jean-Didier Berger unveiled preventive measures including a dedicated prevention platform, while select French cryptocurrency entrepreneurs and their families have been assigned enhanced security.

