Decrypt’s Art, Fashion, and Entertainment Hub.
A gaming metaverse is a fully immersive virtual world that allows you to interact with others on large gameplay surfaces on an ongoing basis. The Sandbox is one of the earliest crypto metaverse games and has a passionate community. Launched on November 29th, 2021, it has a substantial following that spans both the crypto and gaming worlds.
The Sandbox originally used Ethereum for both its native SAND tokens and non-fungible tokens (NFTs); it transitioned to the Polygon blockchain to enable faster speeds, cheaper gas (transaction) fees, and the use of a more energy-efficient blockchain protocol.
While popular massive multiplayer online games (MMOGs) like Destiny 2, Final Fantasy XIV, and League of Legends could be considered metaverses or “proto-metaverses,” games like The Sandbox take these MMOGs and add in features like play to earn (P2E), in-game currencies, and the use of NFTs. Made possible by blockchain technology, these new crypto metaverses are expanding what is possible in gaming environments.
Start Exploring The Sandbox Metaverse
We will give you a step-by-step guide on how to engage with the The Sandbox metaverse. Let’s get started!
- Go to The Sandbox website. Note: You must be 18 or older to verify your avatar on The Sandbox.
- Start the sign-up process. While some crypto metaverses require a crypto wallet to get started, you have three options when first joining The Sandbox. You can sign up through your email, your Facebook account, or via a compatible crypto wallet. If you don’t initially sign up via the crypto wallet option, you can later connect it to your profile to enable additional functions within the game.
- Create your avatar. You can choose from a variety of preselected characters. You can change the color, clothing, and other characteristics of your avatar if you like. If you are already connected via a crypto wallet, you can also shop for a bespoke NFT avatar from popular NFT collections such as Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC), Meebits, and World of Women, among others. There is even a collection from rapper Snoop Dogg called “The Doggies.”
- Verify your ID. You can do this via a live face scan followed by a scan of an official ID. This will allow you to earn SAND tokens and unlock additional features.
- You’re now ready to start playing. Go to the game controller logo and hit play. You may need to install a program on your computer or smartphone to access the game. Now, you are ready to explore The Sandbox via your avatar!
Going Farther with The Sandbox
Once you’ve dipped your toes in this metaverse, there are a few more things you can do to enrich your experience.
- Connect a crypto wallet to your account. If you already did this during the sign-up process mentioned above, you can skip this step. If not, you can now connect via MetaMask, Coinbase Wallet, Bitski, or any crypto wallet that supports the WalletConnect standard. Doing this allows you to make in-game purchases such as custom avatar NFTs from BAYC (as mentioned above). You can also purchase NFTs called LAND that represent virtual property within The Sandbox.
- Create an Estate. Called LAND, these NFTs can be combined to form larger plots called an Estate.
- You can now explore all the possibilities of The Sandbox. When playing, you can access different giveaways and special events where you can interact with fellow avatars and complete challenges and tasks to earn things like SAND (the in-game currency) and NFTs provided you have finished the verification process. If you are not verified, you can still play but can’t receive these rewards. They also have 10-week “Seasons” that consistently bring in new experiences and games from players, brands, and companies.
- Design your own Sandbox game. The Sandbox Game Maker is a free, simple tool that allows anyone to design and test Sandboxes experiences and share them with others. No coding needed!
Creating Your Own Metaverse Items With The Sandbox
Visually, this environment has a “blocky” feel because it uses 3d pixels called voxels. SAND is the currency that allows you to buy NFTs, LAND, and even create your own NFTs. Using their 3D software called VoxEdit, you can use SAND to mint (create) your own avatars, animals, clothes, and other items using these voxels. They can even be animated should you choose to do so.
After creating them, you can use them yourself or you can list — and sell — them on the in-game marketplace for SAND payments. If you have LAND, there is even a Game Maker feature that allows you to create games (within The Sandbox) that doesn’t require coding skills. Should you choose to do so, you can even monetize these games to start earning SAND.
As of 2022, The Sandbox is still in its alpha version (and subject to changes and updates) as it fixes bugs and improves gameplay. While still continuing to improve the metaverse experience, The Sandbox has already shown the vast potential for a crypto metaverse that allows creatives, gamers, and companies to interact with each other in a blockchain-based metaverse.
- You don’t need a crypto wallet or cryptocurrency to start playing The Sandbox.
- Originally built on Ethereum, The Sandbox migrated to the Polygon blockchain to enhance the gameplay experience.
- The Sandbox is a blockchain-enabled metaverse game that makes use of its native SAND token as an in-game currency.
- To unlock all the features of The Sandbox, you must verify your age/identity and connect a compatible crypto wallet.
- Using SAND, you can buy and sell NFTs that represent avatars, in-game items, or digital plots of land.
- The Sandbox’s user-friendly tools allow those without coding experience to create their own NFTs and games within The Sandbox.