Over a week after hackers attacked Sony’s PlayStation studio Insomniac Games, obtaining and then releasing a vast trove of confidential and sensitive information after demanding millions of dollars in Bitcoin, Insomniac issued a public statement on the “extremely distressing” ransom attack Friday.

“We’re both saddened and angered about the recent criminal cyberattack on our studio and the emotional toll it’s taken on our dev team,” Insomniac Games shared on Twitter (aka X).

“We are working quickly to determine what data was impacted. This experience has been extremely distressing for us,” the studio added. 

Insomniac confirmed that sensitive current and former employee data, as well as contractor data, was revealed as part of the cyberattack, along with details about its upcoming Wolverine game based on the Marvel superhero. 


Insomniac said it won’t be making announcements related to its Wolverine game just because of the attack’s resulting leaks.

“Like Logan… Insomniac is resilient,” the studio said, referring to the game’s clawed superhero protagonist. “Marvel’s Wolverine continues as planned. The game is in early production and will no doubt greatly evolve throughout development, as do all our plans.” 

Last week, Sony told Eurogamer that it was aware of the attack but did not believe any of its other divisions were impacted.


A hacker group known as Rhysida has claimed responsibility for the attack, and demanded about $2 million worth of Bitcoin as a ransom payment within seven days before releasing the stolen data online.

Sony and Insomniac did not appear to have paid the ransom, as the data was subsequently leaked. An estimated 2% of the Insomniac data was reportedly sold to unknown buyers while the remaining 98% was released to the public, per a CyberDaily report. The outlet was also reportedly in contact with Rhysida, who said their only motivation was money.

Edited by Andrew Hayward

GG Newsletter

Get the latest web3 gaming news, hear directly from gaming studios and influencers covering the space, and receive power-ups from our partners.